Monday, January 31, 2011

Book of Choice: "Northrop Frye on Shakespeare"

I chose Frye's book on a bit of a whim. It was available at the library and I thought, well, why not? Upon reading the introduction, I realized that I made a solid choice.

So wait a minute, who's the dude in the picture?

What I gather from the introduction is that Frye acknowledges the multidimensionality of Shakespeare's appeal and longevity. The fact that Shakespeare is a rare artist whose work transcends the time and culture of its creation is no revelation. And yet, Frye makes a compelling case that this fact of eternal relevance cannot overshadow the historical context in which it was written.

As somebody who is also a film major/theater junkie, I take interest in Frye's mention of the actual staging conventions and (for better or worse) versatility of the Bard's plays (i.e., changing the setting to Mars or Nazi Germany). The attention to detail in the creation of his characters also is something I look forward to reading about, as fully realized beings in the unique situations in which they exist. I believe that these components are very important and engaging, and while I do take interest in the more academic facets of Shakespeare studies (i.e., the references to classical works, etc.), I appreciate the fact that Frye says, "there is never anything outside his plays that he wants to 'say' or talk about in the plays."

I eagerly anticipate where this work may take me, and hope that it deepens my insight of Shakespeare. Here we go.

No comments:

Post a Comment