Tuesday, March 1, 2011

King Lear in Film: Kurosawa's RAN

I cannot recall how many direct (or indirect) adaptations of King Lear I've encountered, but one that sticks out in my mind is legendary filmmaker Akira Kurosawa's Ran (pronounced RON). It's essentially Shakespeare's play set in feudal Japan.

The trailer doesn't quite do justice to this film, which is quite a masterpiece. However, I will include it because our favorite animal makes an appearance. I didn't even notice it until now! THE BOAR!


Here's another look at it with commentary from critic A.O. Scott. It doesn't touch too much on how it's an adaptation of King Lear, and I'll admit that it's been a few years since I've watched it, but what I remember is an incredible story of the fall of an "ailing king". Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment